Thursday 23 February 2012

Sugarless, flour less, egg less cookies?!

During one of my more recent hours spent scouring pinterest.com I came across a recipe that really piqued my curiosity.  Sugarless, flour less, egg less oatmeal cookies.  Really, could there be such a thing, and still taste good?  I decided to give them a try even though I had already made up my mind that they were going to turn into some sort of disaster.  I'd post a link to the recipe, but it wasn't from an actual website.  Someone had made it into a pin themselves. 

Side note:  if you haven't gone onto pinterest yet, you must!  It's a giant pin board where you discover recipes, fashion, art, architecture, all things geeky, you name it, and pin it on your own boards.  A-ma-zing!

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups of oats
2-3 super ripened bananas 
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
Handful of craisins to taste
And a few dashes of cinnamon

Throw everything together, mix it up pretty well, throw it on a baking sheet at 350 for 35 minutes and voila! It's great and super healthy for you!

I absolutely love how versatile this recipe is.  I used raisins instead of dried cranberries and added some flax seed and wheat bran; but you could throw in any kind of nuts, allspice, or nutmeg, or use fresh ginger, or grated orange peel, the possibilities are endless.

I was convinced that when I opened the oven door to check on them I would find one big goopy mess, but was pleasantly surprised to see they kept their shape.  My kids devoured a few after breakfast, and the only negative comment came from my oldest about how she didn't like them.  She's not used to a no sugar cookie, but my boys loved them and have been asking for more all day.  This is something that even I don't feel guilty indulging in ; )  

       

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dawn! I was just talking to someone at work today about finding a healthy cupcake or cookie recipe! I'm going to try this:)

    ReplyDelete